In November I completed two knitting projects. Just as importantly, I started giving away some of the knit items I’ve completed for my stash challenge! Every year we spend Thanksgiving with my mom’s side of the family, and there are usually 15-20 people there. This year was no exception, and it was the perfect place to offer up my fiber wares (for free, of course). More than half of the items I’ve made in the stash challenge were claimed by various family members.
I was thrilled that everyone was so eager to wear my knit items. I always try to make sure to avoid giving homemade gifts that people don’t really like, yet feel obligated to compliment. So for this stash challenge, I have primarily focused on making things that I like without targeting specific recipients, unless someone requests a particular item. Friends and family, please let me know if you want me to make you something! I have more yarn to use…
Moving on to this month’s projects…the first item I made was the Grey Gardens entrelac turban, using 55 g of Noro Silk Garden yarn. I’ve seen entrelac in several patterns over the years, and finally learned how to use the technique to make this headwrap. If you’re not familiar, entrelac creates a basketweave-like effect by working tiers of rectangles and triangles. You knit one complete rectangle/triangle before moving on to the next one in the same tier. The Grey Gardens pattern has very clear instructions for the technique. As for the yarn, I have long admired the brilliant color combinations that Noro creates. Silk Garden is a beautiful blend of silk, mohair, and wool with varying thickness that works up with a rustic look and feel.
For the second project, I made a pair of boot toppers using 60 g of orange Red Heart Classic Soft yarn. Boot toppers are like boot socks, but they are only a few inches tall. They are designed to be worn around the calf, peeking out from the top of your boots. They’re an easy alternative to making full socks and are quick to knit up out of a small amount of leftover yarn. I figured out a simple pattern myself, with ribbing, cables, and picot bind-off. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a picture of the toppers with boots before giving them to my sister-in-law. If I can round up a good photo, I’ll update this post.
Update 1/24/16: Here are a couple pictures of the boot toppers in action!
- 53 different yarns remaining
- 2624 g remaining (52.48%)
- 34 projects completed in 2015